The Person A collection of fields that describe a specific type of content, like a news article, a person, or an event. Site admins can add additional content types by enabling optional modules. WDS can also create custom content types for a site. is used to create directories of people for your department, program, office or center.
The People module must be enabled before you can add people.
Note that Person content items are different than Users. Users on your site refers to the people that log in to manage the site or access restricted content and are managed completely separately.
Adding a Person
Visit the person form by clicking Manage » Content » Add Content » Person.
In the main area of the form on the left, you'll find some important fields to fill out:
- Name: Add First name, Middle name(s), Last name, select Generational and add Credentials. This will be used as the person's primary heading and title when viewing the person page directly.
- Bio/Description: Displayed on the person detail page, used to opitonally describe the person.
- PUID: The 9 digit number that uniquely identifies this person within the University. This can be found in the people search results. This number is not displayed publicly and is only used to provide data integrations with other systems.
- Pronouns: These pronouns will be displayed on the detail page and optionally in person list blocks.
- Position, Role, and Title: Use these three fields as you wish to provide additional information about this person. The information will be displayed on the person detail page.
- Start Date: This can be used to indicate when the person joined the team/department/unit/etc. There is no strict date format enforced to allow for more flexibility. For example, you may want enter this as "January 2022" or "1/20/22".
- Assistant: To add an Assistant, simply start typing the name of the assistant in this auto-complete field, and you will be presented with possible matches as you type. The assistant will be displayed on the person detail page for this person and must also have a person A individual item of content. For example, a page, a news article, and an event are all content items, which correspond to the Page, News, and Event content types, respectively. created for them.
- Phone & Fax: Be consistent in formatting (609) 258-9999
- Email: Use to display an email link on the Person's detail page and People List Blocks.
- Website: If the person has some other website associated with them that they wish to promote, list it here.
- External Bio: This essentially disables the detail page for this person. Visitors that select a link to this person in a list will be redirected to the website specified in the preceding field.
- Office: List the person's office location.
- Office Hours: Allows you to set working hours for every day of the week.
- CV: Optionally upload the person's CV.
- Degrees: Used to add education/credentials (ex. Ph.D. Biochemistry, Johns Hopkins University).
- Selected Publications: Content entered here will be displayed the bio/description of the person. It's best to format the content in a list using the editor.
- Adviser(s): If any; please note that Advisees will be listed automatically where appropriate.
On the right sidebar, you'll find additional fields:
- Featured Image: A primary image to associate with this person. It can be displayed in a number of ways on the person detail page and will also be used if this person is displayed in an People List block.
- Featured Image Display: Used to control how the image is displayed when viewing the person directly.
- Categorization: Used to categorize this person. See Content Categorization to learn about managing the available categories.
- Person Category is used to tag specific groups of people (for example, staff, faculty, directors).
- Sitewide Category is available on all standard content types and is typically used when you want to tag content items from multiple content types with the same category. For example, you may have events & news both related to a topic.
- The user-friendly path for a content item or taxonomy term that replaces the system path. For example, /my-page can be an alias for /node/123. : This allows you to control the person URL. Most times you want to let Drupal choose the automatic alias for the person, which will be based on the name of the person. However, there are times when you want to override this and provide a custom path. You can uncheck the Generate automatic URL alias box and enter your own custom URL alias. Keep custom URL aliases short but descriptive and use hyphens to separate words.
- Metatags: Refer to the documentation on SEO and Search.
- Authoring information: Contains content creator user and date/time of when the content was created.
- URL redirects: This will show you all existing redirects to this content.
- Promotion options: This is used if displaying a People List block to stick the person at the top of the list.
Use the Save button at the bottom of the form to save the person. The Published checkbox can also be used to control public visibility. If unchecked, visitors to your site will not be able to view the contents.
Configuring the People Module
Users with the role "site admin" can control some options the people module. Visit Configuration » System » Modules and click the settings button for People.
Using this settings form, site admins can:
- Disable all person detail pages and prevent them from appearing in search results. Note that people list blocks may still be configured to link the detail pages, but visitors will see a 404 Not Found page when clicking them. You should configure these list blocks to not link.
- Toggle the display of taxonomy terms associated with the person on the person detail pages (e.g. show output of Person categories for the person).
- Toggle and configure the display of related news (if News is enabled) on person detail pages. This displays a list or grid of news articles that have used the "related person" field to associate people to the news content.