Using an optional A collection of features or functionality that can be enabled on sites. WDS has made several optional modules available to site administrators to enable on their site. For example, the "News" module enables the News content type and provide a News List Block for displaying news on a page. , Page content can be organized into Books. A book is a set of pages tied together in a hierarchical sequence, perhaps with chapters, sections, and subsections. You can use books for manuals, site resource guides, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs), or curricula.
Contact WDS to have the Book module enabled on your website.
Books offer similar functionality to Menus, with a few key differences:
- The book outline (table of contents) is output as a vertical menu tree, but all sub-sections of the book are available by expanding the menu. Users do not need to visit each sections page to view links to its sub-pages.
- A “Print section” link can be added to each book page. This link directs visitors to a printer-friendly page that contains all content from the particular section of the book they were viewing.
- The book outline can be viewed and managed in its entirety, separately from the site’s main menu.
Creating a Book
Creating a book starts with creating the main top-level page of the book:
- Visit Content > Add Content > Page
- Expand the Book outline section of the right sidebar
- Select Create a new book from the Book drop-down
- Save the page
After the main page is created, you can create sub-pages (sections) by following the steps above, but selecting the previously created book from the Book drop-down.
The The user-friendly path for a content item or taxonomy term that replaces the system path. For example, /my-page can be an alias for /node/123. for book pages will be based on the book outline.
Managing Book Content
Book items are made of content items, so they can be managed from the content dashboard. Books also have their own management page at Structure > Books page.
All existing books are listed along with a button to Edit order and titles. Clicking that button will bring you to a page where you can view the pages in the book outline, with the section hierarchy represented. You can drag and drop pages from one area to another if needed.
Note that if you rearrange a book outline, you may need to re-generate the URL aliases of the affected pages. You can do that by visiting the main content dashboard, selecting the affected pages, and using the bulk action to regenerate the URL aliases.
Site admins can modify settings for the Book module by visiting the Configuration > System > Modules page, then clicking Settings for the Book module.
The book navigation style can be changed, to "Simple links" instead of the default "Menu links". Changing to "Simple links" is not recommended as WDS feels it presents a worse user experience.
There's also a checkbox to enable or disable the link to a printer-friendly version of a book section when viewing a book page.