The content slider block can be used to create a visual slider that contains news, events, and/or pages. Each "slide" contains the featured image, title, and "view all" link, and a A term is an individual item that belongs to some taxonomy vocabulary, typically used for categorizing content. For example, a vocabulary "Colors" may have terms in it "Red", "Green", "Blue". for the A individual item of content. For example, a page, a news article, and an event are all content items, which correspond to the Page, News, and Event content types, respectively. .
Note that in most cases, WDS recommends using a static billboard or feature block to showcase content instead of a slider because sliders require your users manually interact to reveal each slide or wait for the slide to auto advance. Many users are may not do so and may never see the content past the first slide.
- Display manually curated list of news, events, and/or page content items OR a dynamically generated list based on taxonomy filters.
- Limited to a maximum of 5 slides.
- Display image area of the slider in wide (16x9) or landscape (3x2) aspect ratio, and control if the images are cropped to fit the area or not.
- Optionally enable automatic transition of the slides.
- Optionally toggle the display of the content item's summary.
- Control if the slides should fade or slide during transitions.
- Select one Used primarily for categorizing content, a vocabulary defines a specific grouping of taxonomy terms. Some default vocabularies exist on all sites, but WDS can create custom vocabularies if needed. Synonymous with categories.
to display with each slide.
- For example, if you are creating a slider for just news, you can have the taxonomy term from the News Category vocabulary shown with each slide. If you combine a slider with news and events, you may choose instead to use the Sitewide Category since both content types can use it when tagging their content.
- Show an optional "view all" link for news and events slides, and control what page on your site the link goes to.
Important Usage Notes
When items for the slider are generated dynamically (instead of being chosen manually), they are sorted by the date they were created in descending order (with the exception of news articles, which use the published date instead).
This may be problematic for events, which you'd often want to display based on the date the event takes place. This may be resolved in the future, but in the meantime, if you want to display events in a slider block, it's best to choose the events to feature manually. You can do this by selecting the "Choose each content item manually" option at the top of the block.